The water that comes out of your kitchen faucet carries with it a steady stream of chemical by-products that are known to cause cancer, heart disease, and reproductive harm. Since the turn of the century chlorine has been used to treat the nation's drinking water, virtually eliminating disease-causing bacteria and viruses. When first used in 1908, it was viewed as the perfect treatment, on e that kept us free of waterborne illnesses while creating no ill effects on your health. So much more is known about chlorine these days, and the error of our ways is beginning to become apparent; they have been tied to an increase in heart disease and cancer-related deaths.
The problem with chlorine is actually in the by-products, called organochlorines, created when it mixes with organic materials, such as leaves, algae, or even human skin. There are thousands of different chlorine by-products, and very few of them have been studied for safety or are being tracked in our water reserves. While these by -products don't cause immediate illness, such as typhoid or dysentery, they have long term effects that are not as easy to study or link to any one health ailment.
There are several classes of by-products, the most studied being trihalomethanes (THMs), which occur when chlorine combines with methane. A common THM found in water is chloroform, a known carcinogen. As a matter of fact, a large number of THMs are known or suspected carcinogens, but they are allowed to remain in our water at minimal levels, even though research has shown those minimal levels are capable of causing cancer.
Toxins In The Body
Chlorine and its by-products enter the body through ingestion, inhalation, and skin absorption. As the shower water heats up, the by-products turn to vapor, making them easy to inhale. At the same time, the heat also enlarges the pores in the skin, allowing for easy absorption. Chlorine by-products do not break down quickly and are generally stored within the fatty tissues of the body, where they can alter DNA, suppress immune function and interfere with natural cell growth. The by-products also generate free radicals that can cause cancer, while destroying the intestinal flora ("good" bacteria) that protects the body from pathogens.
Chlorine and Cancer
Evidence of this was displayed in a study conducted in Hartford, Connecticut, which found that women with breast cancer have 50% to 60% higher levels of organochlorines in their breast tissue than women without breast cancer.
Chlorine by-products have been linked to several types of cancer, including cancers of the bladder, liver, rectum, and colon. A study at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland concluded, "people living in areas served by chlorinated water have twice the risk of contracting cancer," than those who have non-chlorinated water sources.
10 Other Toxins That May Be Lurking In Your Water
3 Steps of Action
To learn more about the rippling effects of chlorinated water, pick up a copy of my book "Be PerfectlyHealthy" by visiting http://www.perfectlyhealthy.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=BE-Perfectly-Healthy-Book.
Are you still using your Teflon type pots and pans? In 2006 the EPA announced that several manufacturers of non-stick cookware had agreed to phase out the use of the main harmful chemical used in the manufacturing of these kitchen necessities, but they haven't yet told you to run out and replace your old cookware. And with the cost of restocking your cabinets with all new pots and pans, the whole subject may prove to e a sticky one that you'd rather ignore. Can you afford to ignore sticky one that you'd rather ignore. Can you afford to ignore the health hazards though? With the current list of diseases caused by the chemicals used in non-stick cookware ranging from immune disorders to hypothyroidism and even cancer, the cost of replacing your Teflon products may be well worth the initial hit to your household budget.
The Chemicals Behind The Name
To be clear, Teflon is not the offender in the non-stick health debate. In fact, Teflon is simply a product name and not a chemical at all. The chemical, or rather chemicals, currently under scrutiny are Perfluorochemicals (PFCs), a family of substances that keep food from sticking to your pots and pans. These same chemicals are used in the manufacture of carpet and fabric treatments that repel stains, as well as camping gear that tkeeps you fryduring rain storms. Within the PFC family there are several chemicals, including the one into which all PFCs eventually break down into, Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA). PFOA has been detected in 90% of the population's blood, including adults, children, and even newborn babies.
PFOAs And Your Health
Today, PFOAs are classified by the EPA as an animal carinogen. Under pressure from independents scientists, the EPA is currently evaluating reasearch data that suggests that PFOAs are also a likely himan carcinogen. Three of the four cancers that PFOAs have been linked to (testicular, breast, liver, and prostate) are no the rise in the US today, with liver cancer rates inc reasing an average of 4.7% each year between 1992 and 1999. Learn more about the effects PFOAs have on your health on page 44 of my book "Be PerfectlyHealthy".
Look Out For These Other PFOA Sources*
*Please note: There is currently no way for consumers to tell if packaging contains PFOAs. Microwave popcorn packaging
To learn more about safe cooking practices, pick up a copy of my book "Be PerfectlyHealthy" by visiting http://www.perfectlyhealthy.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=BE-Perfectly-Healthy-Book.
Plastic has become a staple in our society. It's cheap to produce, lightweight, durable and even recyclable. Like many modern conveniences, it has become so much a part of our lives that removing plastic from our homes would be a difficult undertaking. Plastic is used to make our water bottles and our baby's bottles, it lines metal food cans, fast food containers and microwavable food packaging. Our shower curtains are made out of plastic, our blow-up mattresses are made out of plastic, and now, due to the ubiquitous and pervasive nature of this chemical, our bodies contain plastic.
Bishpenol A Is Everywhere
In 200 the CDC conducted a body burden analysis to determine how many people had bisphenol A (BPA), a common type of plastic, in their bloodstream and found that a whopping 95% of their participants were plastic-positive. Over the past 20 years, numerous studies have detected BOA uin breast milk, serum, saliva, urine, amniotic fluid and cord blood. And the pervasiveness of this plastic doesn't end with our bodies. BPA is so sommon in products and industrial waste that it pollutes rivers, sediment, house dust and air. You would be hard pressed to find a corner of the earth that BPA hasn't touched.
Plastic In The Body
When BPA enters the body it acts like the hormone estrogen. It is a synthetic form of estrogen, but the body can't tell the difference between the real thing and the synthetic imposters. BPA levels within the body increase the levels of estrogen, which can lead to very serious health problems including breast cancer, testicular cancer, and reproductive disorders.
Symptoms of Plastic Toxicity
My Healthy Recommendations
Ridding your life of plastic can be a challende - it's true. When I suggest to my patients that they remove all plastic from their homes I'm often met with resistance. My simple answer to them is this: When you make choices about items that you buy for your home, choose plastic alternatives. For example, use glass containers
To learn more about plastic in the body, pick up a copy of my book "Be PerfectlyHealthy" by visiting http://www.perfectlyhealthy.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=BE-Perfectly-Healthy-Book.
The term "Mad as a Hatter" will forever be associated with the madcap milliner in Lewis Carroll's classic children's book, Alice in Wonderland. But few know that the true origin of the saying relates to a disease peculiar to the hat making industry in the 1800s. A mercury solution was commonly used during the process of turning fur into felt, causing the hatters to breathe in the fumes of this highly toxic metal, a situation exacerbated by the poor ventilation in most of the workshops. This in turn, led to an accumulation of mercury in the worker's bodies, resulting in symptoms such as trembling (known as "hatters' shakes"), loss of coordination, slurred speech, loosening of teeth, memory loss, depression, irritability, and anxiety- "The Mad Hatter Syndrome". The phrase is still used today to describe the effects of mercury poisoning, albeit from other sources.
These days we are infinitely more aware of the deadly toxicity of mercury exposure, yet mercury still remains more common that one might think. Mercury can be found in our cars, homes, food, medicine cabinets - even our mouths.
Common Items That Contain Mercury
To learn more about The Madhatter Syndrome, pick up a copy of my book "Be PerfectlyHealthy" by visiting http://www.perfectlyhealthy.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=BE-Perfectly-Healthy-Book.